Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Motivation/Writing a Book

Starting on November 1, I’m writing a book. The book will most likely be the worst piece of literary failure ever written. But that’s not going to stop me. There’s an organization that created National Novel Writing Month, where wannabe authors write upwards of 1500 words per day for an entire month, totaling about a 175 page, or 50000 word book.

To me, this is going to be a learning experience. Hopefully, I will be able to teach myself how to really hunker down and get work done. Of course, it’s also going to help me write better. 175 pages from now, I hope to have a much better grasp of my narrative voice and storytelling ability.

One of the biggest issues I’ve had over the past few years has been motivation. I’ve never been able to motivate myself to do things, even if I knew they were worthwhile. From studying for finals, to learning how to cook, it’s been a tough job to get myself to do anything. Even updating this blog feels like a chore sometimes.

These days, few people ever take time out of their lives to do things strictly for themselves. This is going to be the first real attempt I’ve ever made to take on a large project solely for my own development as a person/author/narrator/nerd.

Even by the start of the novel, I’m not sure how the character will develop and grow. If you’ve ever felt a connection to a character in a movie or book, the feeling is similar except much more tangible to the author.

Wish me luck; day one is just around the corner. Donations of coffee will be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment